Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jumping In

When Brian and I moved to SunCrest we did more than just buy a lot and build a house. We bought into an ideal. Mountain living, quiet neighborhoods, trails, pocket parks, a neighborhood market and gathering place. So with all the gloom and doom in the local papers, roads falling apart and a developer in default, I've been wondering how this affects me and how I can still have my ideal.
I have been amazed at our neighborhood involvement. Anyone who feels that one person can not make a difference should see my community get together. A group of residents has formed just to present a unified voice. They have lobbied for (and had passed) legislation, canvassed the neighorhoods, befriended the city council, and just in general provided a forum for ideas and concerns to be discussed. Without having any legal authority they have become the place where people go for answers and solutions. Individuals can make a difference!
So, in addition to joining the residents group I am also running to become a neighborhood voting member for our local Owner's Association. (Isn't that supposed to be the worst, nastiest job ever?) But I have high hopes, and after watching our residents in action I think I can still have my ideal as well.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Go Jen! You would be a great asset to have. Good luck!

robifam said...

Good for you! You will be an intelligent, creative and loyal person to have anywhere you put your talents!

DeLaina said...

And I personally, am SO glad you did! I have enjoyed getting to know you over the past year, adn feel that SunCrest is a better place to be as a direct result of your efforts. Thank you:-)