Thursday, November 8, 2007

I DID IT!

My friend Lisa sent me the following quote this week from John Bingham....I am a runner because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far. I am a a runner because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not. I finished my first race 10K in 1:04:54, so my average mile time was 10:26. Most assuredly not to fast, but 6 miles counts as far in my book still. The Butch Cassidy 10K started in Springdale, UT right outside of Zion's National Park and ended in the ghost town of Grafton, 6.2 miles down the road. They actually shut down the main road while we ran, which was very cool. And the course was gorgeous, with southern Utah red rock walls as a stunning backdrop. My family was waiting for me at the finish line, and Emilee, who was waiting for me on the sidelines actually ran the last .1 mile with me. I was so glad to cross that finish line! And I had that runner's "I DID IT" high from finishing something that for me was really hard. Now, Laura is trying to talk me into the SLC Half Marathon. YIKES! That's double and change what I ran on Saturday...but this little voice inside is saying come on, you could do it, how cool to be able to add that to your life list...The problem is it is still a very little voice inside, a much bigger voice is saying...let's see how 10 miles feel and then we'll talk.

Brian and I in Kolob Canyon in the north part of Zion's.

1 comment:

Will Murdoch said...

You ARE a runner!! The SL 1/2 is 24 weeks away (according to a salesman at SL Running). We could totally do it! Speed doesn't matter, just the accomplishment. A few weeks ago I would have said I couldn't run a 10K without heaving, now look at us!