Thursday, October 30, 2008

Disappointment

Disappointment has a flavor. A salty, bitter, and hard to swallow taste.

I've been training for the last couple months for the Butch Cassiday 10K in Springdale . This morning I went out for a quick and easy two miles, just to keep my legs fresh, but still have them ready to go on Saturday. We have awesome trails near the house and this morning was perfect. An ideal fall day for a run, cool and crisp and lovely. I was halfway through my run, and had just turned around to head back when I stepped into a leaf covered hole and pitched forward. Immediately I knew that my ankle was sprained. I also knew that I was .9 miles from the car on a trail where it wasn't likely that I'd encounter any help. So, I stood back up and hobbled as quickly and carefully as I could back to the car. I knew I had to get there as fast as I could before I started to feel my ankle and before my body used up it's adrenaline supply.

So, I'll be taking pictures this weekend. Brian, his mom and the girls will be running/walking the 5K and I'll just have to smile and enjoy the scenery. Happily disappointment also tastes like pistachio gelato from one of my running buddies...thanks a million L.!!

6 comments:

DeLaina said...

Ohhh, Jen! I'm so sorry! That's a rough break.

Kati said...

Jen :( i am sorry! that is really too bad! let me know if i can do anything for you! love you

Monica M said...

Oh that stinks. Glad you had the pistachio gelato though, that's my favorite. Recipe is on the blog. There will always be a next race.

Becki said...

oh jen, i'm really sorry about that. i hope your ankle gets feeling better soon. love you!

Noriane said...

What a bummer! I hope your ankle gets better soon. At least you have very good survival skills--I wouldn't have thought about the whole adrenaline thing and how you needed to get back to the car quickly, so I'm impressed!

I agree, pistachio ice cream always makes everything feel better...

Michelle Alley said...

I'm so so sorry Jenn. How frustrating this must be. How long before you recover?