Tuesday, August 26, 2008

10 minute list

So, what would you take if you had 10 minutes to grab whatever and get out?

Yesterday afternoon I was talking to my friend Lisa down in Draper as she picked up her kids from school. She was giving me the play by play of a fire in the foothills and I thought, we'll have to check it out when we head over the mountain later. Just after hanging up with her my neighbor called and asked if I was packing...I walked around to the front of my house and about dropped the phone. The way the smoke was billowing I expected to see flames creeping down the valley any second. Brin and I jumped in the car and drove up to the top of the mountain to see how close the flames actually were. Thankfully the fire was in the foothills a couple miles away. We picked up Emilee and Sadie at the bus stop and they were worried. Their bus had been delayed while the school made sure it was safe to send them home, but as they came up the mountainside it really looked like the fire was in our valley.
From our front porch

"Mom, what do we do?" they asked. I had each of the girls pack an overnight bag with a few changes of clothes and some of their "special treasures". But then I found myself wandering through the house...what should I take...

From the top of the mountain

The fire never got closer and I never really did pack. But I've been thinking a lot about what I would have thrown in the car. This week I'm constucting my own 10 minute list. I'll post it later. Yesterday was just the practive run, I'm sure there will be more scares in the future and next time I want to be a little bit more prepared, but honestly as long as my family was in the car, who cares about the kitchen table?

5 comments:

Kati said...

wow jen that would have been really scary! matt and i saw it when we were at work and i looked like it was across the freeway! we joked about the new stadium catching on fire :) but then we ksl'd it and fount out where it was!!!! i am glad you guys are ok! really scary

Amy Brasier said...

Glad it never got too close to you guys! A few things I would grab are: scrapbooks, camera bag, my box of things to save in the basement (includes yearbooks, missionary letters, wedding memories), family history box, my Mac (where all my pics are if the printed one's didn't survive, then I'd still have the digital files), 72 hr. kits, our safe full of important docs.
It'd be a shame to let all that food storage go...but I think that would go over the 10 minutes to load. I'd love to see your list.

Michelle Alley said...

Oh my Jenn - are you guys still in Draper? You must have moved, I think I remember your posts about it - anyway, so glad it wasn't close and thanks for the thought? I have no idea what I'd take besides the family. Take care and I better get right on this :)

Noriane said...

I've thought about this a million times, yet if it actually happened, I'm not sure I'd remember what I'm supposed to grab! Probably my home videos, my big box of unorganized pictures (15 years worth of them), my computer, our emergency packs, clothes and the cat if I can find her! Glad the fire didn't get too close to your house, although it's a shame to have to look at a charred hillside now...

DeLaina said...

You got some killer pix of the fire Jen!