Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bicycle Counting

1 spare tire

2 bike wheels

3 flats

4 friends

The Salt Lake Century Gang


As I finished my long solo last half of the bike ride last Saturday I had my fingers crossed that my tires would be ok. The ride was supposed to be fully supported, which I thought meant that if you got a flat there would be someone to fix it, but I saw no one along the bike route and the spare tire I was carrying would not have done me much good without a tire lever and a way to inflate it...

Apparently I pushed my luck a little to far because on our evening ride today I had 3 flats, not just one but 3! and two of them were simultaneous. Thank goodness for my friends, their patience and spare CO2 cartridges!
Silver lining: Now I know how to change my own flat tires and exactly which tools I should be carrying.

4 comments:

Doug Brasier said...

3, in 1 ride...what a pain.

Buy Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires. You'll spend about $60/tire, but it's TOTALLY worth it. 3 years, almost 10,000 miles and no flats - I'm a believer.

Tri-Mom said...

Great job on your SL Century Ride!

That tire changing skill is a good one to have. I still rely on Rich a bit too much in that area. I don't know about the details of your flats, but I know that if the tube is pinched at all when you change it, it can lead to multiple flats.

Keep up the great work. Hopefully with where you live you're better at going downhill than I am. I like the flats or going up hill. If down hills are too steep, my hands cramp up from braking so much.

Tri-Mom said...

My in house expert also commented that it's common to get a thorn stuck in the tire that keeps on puncturing the new tube. He always runs his finger along the whole tire looking for the source of the flat.:)

Will Murdoch said...

Three flats would be enough for me to call bike riding quits. Wait a minute...I don't even need that.

Glad you learned how to change them!