Saturday, May 17, 2008

Legs, Wheels & Wings



I did it! My longest bike ride so far and at a (for me) decent pace. I met my friends at 6:30 this morning and we drove up the Utah State Fair Park for the Cycle Salt Lake Century. I was a little nervous about the 7:30 mass start. Bikes and crowds of bikers make me a little anxious, add to that my exactly one week old "real" bike shoes and my not-so-lightning quick reflexes and natural grace and it's understandable. But, it wasn't bad at all. The ride out was fun, all the traffic was stopped and it was nice and cool. It was a new experience for me to ride in a pack, I decided it's actually fun to be surrounded by other bikers and had a good time. I hit my turn around at the rest stop at mile 18, my friends who were doing the 72 mile loop headed on and I turned back. The ride back was not so fun, this time all the people I passed were heading the other direction--that doesn't count--and I was alone the entire 18 miles. I guess if I want to stay with the pack I better up the mileage next time! But I finished my 36 miles in about 2:15. Not to shabby for a brand new biker and all good preparation for Little Red Riding Hood in another couple weeks!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Congratulations, Jen! Your motivation is contagious!

Will Murdoch said...

Way to go!! That's 26 more miles than I'll ever bike! :)

Michelle Alley said...

That is awesome! I just started biking about two weeks ago and find that it is a great 2nd to running. I wish we had the great expanse here that Utah area has - but I'm forced to ride my bike right next to buses and potholes!

Monica M said...

Wow that is impressive. Way to go.